The Writing Workshop
3/2
I am only half way through my internship in third grade and so far I am loving it! I did not know if I would enjoy third grade as much as I have previously enjoyed the younger grades. However, it has turned out to be a wonderful experience. I can really see myself teaching this grade now. The students are at that point where they are reading to learn new and exciting things, but they still want help and advice every now and then. It is a great feeling to know that I can be a service to both teaching and helping with life lessons!
I have had the privilege to gain a lot of writing workshop experience throughout this semester. My mentor teacher is very good at incorporating writing into all of the standards. So far, I have witnessed the students writing a narrative, persuasive, and an information text. She also allows for the students to use a clip board and sit scattered throughout the room! I love this time because I get to see the students really think about what they are writing down. My favorite experience was watching the students participate in free writing time. Three boys passes around a piece of paper and wrote a combined story about ghosts. They would each write a sentence and then pass it to the next student. When they were finished, they brought it to my teacher and she read it aloud to the class in fun and creative voices. The students, who do not normally like writing time, were so impressed with the positive reactions from their peers. You could tell they were really proud of themselves! It was an exciting moment to witness.
I am still very nervous to conduct my own writing workshop lesson plans, but I feel more confident as the weeks go on. Throughout my week in the classroom, I plan to implement a writing assessment on one student and I plan do do a writing workshop about a trip to the beach! Wish me luck!
I have had the privilege to gain a lot of writing workshop experience throughout this semester. My mentor teacher is very good at incorporating writing into all of the standards. So far, I have witnessed the students writing a narrative, persuasive, and an information text. She also allows for the students to use a clip board and sit scattered throughout the room! I love this time because I get to see the students really think about what they are writing down. My favorite experience was watching the students participate in free writing time. Three boys passes around a piece of paper and wrote a combined story about ghosts. They would each write a sentence and then pass it to the next student. When they were finished, they brought it to my teacher and she read it aloud to the class in fun and creative voices. The students, who do not normally like writing time, were so impressed with the positive reactions from their peers. You could tell they were really proud of themselves! It was an exciting moment to witness.
I am still very nervous to conduct my own writing workshop lesson plans, but I feel more confident as the weeks go on. Throughout my week in the classroom, I plan to implement a writing assessment on one student and I plan do do a writing workshop about a trip to the beach! Wish me luck!

I love the moment you shared about the kids sharing their work with each other. I can imagine the boys on the rug sharing their work and writing together - I am so glad you feel like your experiences have been worthwhile and that your confidence grows as you see more and learn more. I hope this will only continue!
ReplyDeletemissed your blog this week!
ReplyDelete